Phew! That’s my longest heading yet!
As I write this, we in New Zealand are in ‘Level 4’ lockdown. The lockdown we experience in NZ may be one of the toughest – if not the toughest – in the world!
Unless you are an essential worker – which both of us are – you are required to stay home. You can go out to get essential supplies and to walk in your neighbourhood but that’s about it! So, how are we spending our lockdown? In a rented house with just a sofa bed and two bar stools for furniture!
I have talked before about selling and moving house. Long story short, the house we were buying didn’t work out at literally the last minute. Hence we are in a rental!
So, what does this have to do with being grateful? And what have I got to be grateful for?
I am grateful:
1. That I have somewhere warm and dry to live when others don’t.
2. That I have someone that loves me to share my lockdown with, when many don’t.
3. That we both have our health – disregarding Parkies and a few other ongoing issues …
4. That we have people who care about us both, who check in on us to see we are ok. Many others don’t.
5. That despite the ‘housing hiccups’ my husband and I have remained on good terms. Life’s disasters so far haven’t ruined our relationship and this is just another to get through. We are experts at personal disasters by now. We have got through some tough times over the years and there will be more to come. We will get through this lot too.
6. We have good jobs and good workmates and are valued in those roles.
So, I choose not to focus on the current disaster. A combo of COVID 19 and our own personal misfortunes. I choose instead to be grateful for the positive things in life. There is nothing to be gained by focusing on the many negative events in life right now. I can’t change them, I can’t alter what is happening in the world, but I can choose to focus on positive things because the one thing I can change is my own attitude and reactions.